Source Separated Organics (SSO) and Recycling
October 28, 2010
Moving out of the garden, through the kitchen, and onto the curb, let’s take a quick look at how compost relates to recycling. Food and yard waste make up about a quarter of America’s municipal solid waste, and according to the EPA, only 2.5% of food waste is recycled. In order to prevent the other 97.5% from ending up in landfills, communities are implementing source-separated organics (SSO) programs.
San Francisco, Berkeley and Nantucket are just a few of the many municipalities that have SSO programs. These communities recycle organic materials in order to reach recycling goals and conserve natural resources.
To learn how to implement SSO in your community, visit our SSO Superhero Toolkit.
Photo courtesy of the City of Portland, by Tim Jewett.